Tag Archives: Heinrich Bon Ferstel

The Votive Church, Vienna – visited May 2016

Votive Church, Vienna

This church is famous because it holds the tomb of Count Niklas Salm (commander of Vienna in the first Turkish siege of 1529), transferred from the Church of St. Dorothy in 1878.

The church was constructed between 1856 and 1879 by Heinrich von Ferstel, when archduke Ferdinand Max wanted to show his gratitude when his brother, emperor Francis Joseph, survived an assassination attempt.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under The Ramblings of a Reformed Ecclesiastic